Uber releases hotly anticipated second quarter earnings shortly. Here’s a re-cap of what to look for
Our full preview for Uber’s second quarter earnings was published on Wednesday. Read it here.
Key Financial points to Watch
Key Q2 Metrics to Watch
- Core platform gross bookings are forecast to rise to $15.53bn in Q2 vs. $14.52bn in Q1
- Growth is forecast to fall to 32% from 34% in Q1
- Q2 2018 and Q1 2018 growth was 48% and 56%
Other key points to watch
- Uber may confirm that it is selling Uber Eats India
- It may comment on Takeaway.com’s £5bn agreement to buy Just Eat
Possible share price reaction
- Shares remain below IPO price
- The stock jumped as much as 7.5% on Thursday after Lyft’s better than expected earnings earlier this week
- An upside surprise in Uber’s results could deliver a positive-shock to shares
- Missing forecasts, or just meeting expectations could send the shares lower
- Options pricing shows a high put/call ratio and skew. These point to bearish sentiment
- 19% of the stock is held by short sellers betting the price will decline
- Uber is in an upswing from its post-IPO gap fill. There are decent technical signs of a change in sentiment
- Downward velocity that followed a rejected attempt to approach 28th June’s primary cycle high has dissipated
- The stock escaped a falling channel this week
- A fresh cycle low was established at $38.20 on Wednesday; closely echoing several lows nearby
- $39.24 may be significant support as it was the top price on Uber’s first post-IPO Monday, 13th May. It was also the bottom of the gap after Uber’s 10th May debut
- The 8th July swing low of $42.75 established a floor for most of that month. It’s now resistance
- Added significance (‘confluence’) comes from proximity to 61.8% of the 29th July-7th August
- Since Uber has settled at resistance just ahead of earnings, current levels are a rough marker. They can define sentiment: Above here signals well-received figures; below would be negative
- If the stock escapes its 26th June bearish outside day range–even better
- The bottom of that range—$42.36—adds support
- Failure to break above current resistance will return Uber to a downward course
- In that case, assuming no help from the 38.2% Fibonacci, expect another visit to $39.24; perhaps $38.32
Uber Technologies Inc. – 120 minutes [08/08/2019 19:52:03
Source: Bloomberg/City Index
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.