Two trades to watch: EUR/USD pushes above 1.2150, WTI after Goldman Sachs' bullish call on oil
Fiona Cincotta January 12, 2021 4:01 PM
EUR/USD picks up from session lows and re-takes 1.2150 on cautious market optimism WTI extends gains after Goldman Sachs sees solid rebound in oil prices by mid 2021. API data in focus
EUR/USD rebounds above 1.2150
• Cautious optimism along with the USD taking a breather as treasury yields stabilize at 1.15% is helping EUR/USD pick up from session lows and retake 1.2150.
• Surging covid cases, vaccine rollout and US politics remain in focus.
• There is no high impacting economic data leaving sentiment & covid developments in the driving seat
EUR/USD technical analysis
• WTI continues its impressive bullish run advancing for 6 of the past 7 sessions and pushing over $52.
• Helping the case for oil, Goldman Sachs made a bullish call that Brent (currently at $55.50 bp) will rise to $65 by mid-2021 amid a sharp rebound in demand. It expects to see the Saudi output cut and global vaccine rollout to result in a fast tightening of the market.
• Meanwhile rising covid cases and tighter lockdowns conditions are strong headwinds for oil.
• API crude oil inventory data due later is expected to show a drawdown in inventory for the 5th straight week.
Oil also appears to be considering a move above its week old ascending resistance line and its 11 month high at $52.70. Should the bulls refresh this multi month top $54.70 could come into play.
Failure to extend gains beyond $52.70 could see WTI revisit yesterday’s low and the 20 sma of $51.50 prior to $50.40 swing low 7th Jan and key psychological support at $50 which is also the 50 sma.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the GAIN Capital group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.