- The day’s (week’s? month’s?) marquee event, Fed Chairman Powell’s speech at the Jackson Hole Symposium, was a bit of a damp squid, with Powell emphasizing the central bank’s data dependence and the risk of protectionism escalating. These comments proved timely in the wake of this morning’s announcement that China would be imposing additional tariffs on US exports.
- Shortly after Powell’s remarks concluded, President Trump went off on twitter, asking whether Powell (his hand-picked Fed Chair) or China was a bigger enemy to the country, ordering US companies to stop doing business with China, and teasing a big announcement in the afternoon. As of writing, investors remain on edge to see if more headlines cross over the weekend.
- FX: The US dollar and risk-sensitive aussie were the weakest major currencies on the day. Predictably, the safe haven Japanese yen and Swiss franc were the strongest major currencies.
- The Chinese yuan also dropped to test its 11-year low against the US dollar near 7.14.
- Commodities: Gold tacked on 2% while oil fell nearly 3% in classic risk-off trade.
- US indices closed sharply lower on the day to approach the lower end of the recent 2-week range.
- Defensive Utility stocks (XLU) were the strongest sector while Energy (XLE) was the weakest.
- See the key data releases and market trends we’ll be watching in the week to come!
- Stocks on the Move:
- Foot Locker (FL) dumped 19% after missing sales and revenue forecasts, bringing the string of strong retail reports to an end. Proposed tariffs on Chinese-manufactured shoes heading into the holiday season could hurt sales further moving forward.
- HP (HPQ) shed 6% after matching earnings estimates and appointing a new CEO.
- Both Intuit (INTU, +1%) and Salesforce.com (CRM, +2%) reported strong earnings and were able to buck the relentless selling pressure in broader indices.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.