Market Brief: Pound Caps Off a Big Week with a Surge to 7-Week Highs at 1.25
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT September 14, 2019 3:58 AM
See a summary of the top market themes and trends from today's US trading session!
- FX: The British pound was the strongest major currency, taking GBP/USD to its highest level in seven weeks. The loonie was the weakest major currency on election concerns, dropping to a nine-day low against the greenback.
- US data: US retail sales came in mixed, with the headline figure printing at +0.4% m/m vs. +0.2% eyed, but the “Core” reading was flat vs, a +0.1% reading expected. Separately, UofM Consumer Sentiment beat expectations at 92.0 vs. 90.8 eyed.
- See the key trends and themes we’ll be watching next week!
- Commodities: Both oil and gold fell by less than 1% on the day.
- US indices finished mixed, but the Dow nonetheless maintained its winning streak. This week’s big story was the outperformance of value stocks over growth.
- Materials (XLB) were the strongest sector on the day while REITs (XLRE) brought up the rear.
- Stocks on the move:
- Apple (AAPL) dropped -2% after Goldman Sachs lowered its price target in the wake of Apple’s TV+ announcement.
- Broadcom (AVGO) fell -3% after announcing a disappointing full-year revenue outlook yesterday.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.