Market News & Analysis
Market Brief: All quiet on the trade front; pound off lows
Ken Odeluga December 11, 2019 10:28 PM
Stock market snapshot as of [11/12/2019 1:59 pm]
- U.S. equity futures have drifted higher into the open ahead of the last Federal Reserve policy decision of the year as uncertainty over of trade negotiations between America and China, persist. Treasuries advance as the 15th December date on which the U.S. is supposed to lift tariffs on certain Chinese goods looms
- White House officials haven’t given much away though the lack of negative signals facilitates an uplift for sentiment. Trade adviser Peter Navarro said he had no indication that President Donald Trump will do “anything other than have a great deal or put the tariffs on”
- The Stoxx Europe 600 gauge also managed to shrug off declines in real estate shares after Asian shares were mostly higher
Stocks/sectors on the move
- Home Depot Inc. dropped in pre-market trading after reducing sales forecasts
- GameStop results missed, weighing on the pre-opening price to the tune of 18%
- DropBox also fell as its chief customer officer resigned
- Safe-haven utilities shares led the most in-demand sectors in Europe, whilst Germany’s real estate sector led the region’s decliners
FX snapshot as of [11/12/2019 1:59 pm]
View our guide on how to interpret the FX Dashboard
FX markets and gold
- The dollar is mixed as Sweden’s krona leads after inflation topped expectations, paving the way for a rare G10 rate hike at the Riksbank meeting next week
- Another weight on the greenback is abating sterling pressure. The pound initially fell after an update to YouGov’s MRP poll, which correctly predicted the 2017 election outcome
- A combination of profit taking following GBP/USD’s 114-odd pip drop from Tuesday’s near 9-month highs, plus pre-Fed statement caution probably accounts for the ease off in downward pound pressure
Upcoming economic highlights
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the GAIN Capital group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.
Cryptocurrencies are not legal tender currency and trading of derivatives on Cryptocurrencies are currently not covered under any regulatory regime in Singapore. Consequently, investors should be aware they do not have protection under the Securities and Futures Act (Cap. 289). Please ensure that you are fully aware of the risks.