FX & Stock market snapshots as of [14/08/2019 0340 GMT]
- In today’s Asia session, risk sensitive related pairs; AUD/JPY, GBP/JPY, EUR/JPY and USD/JPY are the worst performers after a resurgence of risk appetite was seen in yesterday’s U.S. session. The U.S. administration has delayed the implementation of the 10% tariffs on several Chinese imports; finished products such as phones, laptops and toys to take effect on 15 Dec from the earlier planned date of 01 Sep.
- Profit-taking on these JPY crosses can be attributed to weaker key economic data from China. Retail sales for Jul came in at 7.6% y/y (below expectation of 8.6% y/y) versus 9.8% y/y in Jun. Industrial production for Jul came in at 4.8% y/y (below expectation of 5.8%) versus 6.3% y/y in Jun.
- The growth rate of industrial production in China has weakened to a 17-year low on the backdrop of sluggish domestic demand and uncertainties over the on-going trade dispute between U.S. and China.
- Ahead of the European session open, most Asian stock markets are trading in the black; taking the cue from overnight gains seen in the U.S. stock markets after the U.S. administration de-escalated its trade tension with China.
- South Korea’s Kospi 200 is leading the pack with a gain of 0.94% as at Asian mid-session with outperformance seen in the Energy and Technology sectors (up by 2.7% and 1.5% respectively).
- The outlier is Australia’s ASX 200 with a small loss of -0.10% where key financials stocks underperformed. Commonwealth Bank of Australia is down by -3.2% after it goes ex-dividend. A loss of -0.3 % was seen in National Australia Bank after it reported flat growth in Q3 profit.
- The S&P 500 E-mini futures has inched down slightly by -0.20% in today’s Asia session to print a current intraday low of 2923.
- Germany GDP Q2 out later at 0600 GMT where consensus is set at -0.1 q/q & -0.3% y/y
- U.K. CPI for Jul at 0830 GMT where consensus is set at 1.9% y/y below 2.0% y/y seen in Jun for headline inflation.
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.