Short-term technical outlook on Nasdaq 100 (Thurs, 31 Jan)
Click to enlarge charts
Key technical elements
- The US Tech 100 Index (proxy for the Nasdaq 100 futures) has managed to clear above the 6800 former minor range resistance in place since 18 Jan 2019.
- The Index has continued its upward climb since its 26 Dec 2018 swing low area of 5873/803 which implies a 5-week consecutive positive up move within a minor bearish “Ascending Wedge” range configuration (see daily chart).
- The upper boundary of the minor “Ascending Wedge” stands at 6975/7020 which also confluences with a Fibonacci retracement/expansion cluster (61.8% retracement of the recent decline from 01 Oct 2018 all-time high of 7700 to 26 Dec 2018 low & 0.618 expansion of the on-going rebound from 26 Dec 2018 low to 09 Jan 2019 low projected from 14 Jan 2019 high.
- The 1-hour Stochastic oscillator has started to exit from its overbought region and still has further room to manoeuvre to the downside before it reaches an extreme oversold level. This observation suggests that the Index may see a pull-back at this juncture to retest yesterday’s bullish breakout for the minor range resistance at 6800.
- The key short-term support rests at 6710 which is defined by a Fibonacci retracment cluster and the lower boundary of the minor “Ascending Wedge”.
Key Levels (1 to 3 days)
Intermediate support: 6800
Pivot (key support): 6710
Next support: 6600
If the Index manages to hold at the 6710 key short-term pivotal support, it may stage a potential final push up to target the key medium-term resistance at 6975/7020.
However, a break below 6710 negates the bullish tone for a deeper pull-back to retest the 6600 minor range support at 6600 (17/29 Jan 2019 swing low areas).
Charts are from City Index Advantage TraderPro
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.