Happy Chinese New Year
Our New Year special promotion is available now.
Market News & Analysis
Featured Trade: Nasdaq 100 minor bounce cannot be ruled out before new potential decline
Kelvin Wong February 8, 2019 12:51 PM
Short-term technical outlook on Nasdaq 100 (Fri, 08 Feb)
Click to enlarge charts
Key technical elements
- The US Tech 100 Index (proxy for the Nasdaq 100 futures) has staged the expected push up as per highlighted in our earlier “Featured Trade” report dated 31 Jan 2019 and hit the upper limit of the key medium-term resistance zone at 6975/7020 (printed an intraday high of 7034 on 06 Feb 2019). Click here for a recap.
- Yesterday’s (07 Feb) price action has staged a reaction off the 7020 key medium-term resistance and tumbled by 2.5% to print a low of 6853 in the U.S. session. The 7020 key medium-term resistance is defined by the upper limit of the minor bearish “Ascending Wedge” range configuration in place since 26 Dec 2018 low and the 0.618 Fibonacci expansion of the on-going rebound from 26 Dec 2018 low to 09 Jan 2019 high projected from 14 Jan 2019 low.
- The Index has formed a daily bearish “Evening Star” candlestick pattern below the 7020 key medium-term resistance with the daily RSI oscillator that has managed to remain below a significant corresponding resistance at 60 level. These observations suggest the medium-term upside momentum of the on-going rebound from 26 Dec 2018 low has started to wane and the Index may start to shape a medium-term bearish reversal below 7020.
- In the shorter-term after yesterday’s decline of 2.5% from 06 Feb 2019 high of 7034, the hourly Stochastic oscillator is now coming close to an extreme oversold level. In addition, Elliot Wave/fractal analysis has suggested that the on-going slide from 06 Feb 2019 high of 7034 is likely to be coming close to complete a minor downleg sequence with its extended 5th wave target at 6828, close to the lower limit of the minor “Ascending Wedge” now acting as a support at 6817 (see 1-hour chart)
- Therefore, the Index may stage a minor rebound first if it manages to hold at 6828/17 towards the intermediate resistance zone of 6937/60 (50%/61% Fibonacci retracement of yesterday’s slide from 06 Feb 2019 high & the former minor swing high areas of 01/05 Feb 2019) before another potential fresh downleg materialises.
- The next significant near-term support rests at 6610 (the minor swing low areas of 17/29 Jan 2019)
Key Levels (1 to 3 days)
Intermediate resistance: 6937/60
Pivot (key resistance): 7020
Supports: 6817 & 6610
Next resistance: 7130
If the potential minor bounce manages to hold below the 7020 key medium-term pivotal resistance, the Index is likely to shape another round of potential impulsive downleg sequence to target the next near-term support at 6610.
However, a clearance with a daily close above 7020 sees a further squeeze up towards the next intermediate resistance at 7130 (the swing high of 03 Dec 2018).
Charts are from City Index Advantage TraderPro & eSignal.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the GAIN Capital group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.
Cryptocurrencies are not legal tender currency and trading of derivatives on Cryptocurrencies are currently not covered under any regulatory regime in Singapore. Consequently, investors should be aware they do not have protection under the Securities and Futures Act (Cap. 289). Please ensure that you are fully aware of the risks.