Market News & Analysis
Featured Trade ("H" share): Country Garden bearish woes are not over
Kelvin Wong December 5, 2018 12:42 PM
Medium-term technical outlook (1-3 weeks) on Country Garden (HKG 2007)
Key technical elements
- The share price of Country Garden (“H” share listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange), a major property developer and construction with projects that are mostly concentrated in China has plummeted by 59% since its all-time high of 19.16 recorded on 11 Jan 2018 to print a recent low of 7.85 on 24 Oct 2018).
- Country Garden has managed to stage a rebound of 29% in the past 4 weeks to record a high of 9.96 on 03 Oct 2018 reinforced by international factors; the recent dovish speech from Fed Chair Powell that stated the current policy fed funds rate “is getting closer to a neutral level” and the Trump-Xi dinner date on 01 Dec 2018 after the G20 summit that concluded with a 90-day grace period trade war truce between both sides.
- From a technical analysis perspective, the aforementioned rebound is likely no considered a bottoming process yet but rather a ‘dead cat bounce” that will resume its on-going major down move in place since Jan 2018.
- The rebound has formed a “bearish flag” ascending range consolidation where it has been accompanied by a declining volume with weak momentum where the daily RSI oscillator has flashed a bearish divergence signal a significant corresponding resistance at the 62 level.
- The key medium-term resistance now stands at 10.54 which is defined by the former range support from 03 Aug/12 Sep 2018, the upper limit of the “bearish flag” and close to the 23.6% Fibonacci retracement of the recent decline from 07 Jun 2018 high to 24 Oct 2018 low.
- The next significant support rests at the 7.33/12 as per defined by a Fibonacci projection cluster (see daily chart).
Key Levels (1 to 3 weeks)
Pivot (key resistance): 10.54
Supports: 9.40 (downside trigger), 7.33/12 & 5.55
Next resistance: 12.44
The bearish woes of Country Garden still linger despite its recent rebound of 29% from its Oct 2018 low. If the 10.54 key medium-term pivotal resistance is not surpassed and a break below 9.40 (the lower limit of the “bearish flag”) is likely to open up scope for a potential fresh impulsive downleg to target the next support at 7.33/12 and below it sees a further plunge towards the major support of 5.55 (the former swing high area of Oct 2013 & close to 76.4% Fibonacci retracement of the entire long-term secular uptrend from Oct 2008 low to its current all-time high of Jan 2018).
On the other hand, a clearance above 10.54 invalidates the bearish scenario for an extension of the corrective rebound towards the next resistance at 12.44 (swing high areas of 09 Aug/22 Aug 2018 & pull-back resistance of the former long-term ascending channel upper limit failure breakout).
Charts are from eSignal
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the GAIN Capital group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
GAIN Capital Singapore Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.
Cryptocurrencies are not legal tender currency and trading of derivatives on Cryptocurrencies are currently not covered under any regulatory regime in Singapore. Consequently, investors should be aware they do not have protection under the Securities and Futures Act (Cap. 289). Please ensure that you are fully aware of the risks.