European Open: GBP’s rally stalls at a technical juncture
Matt Simpson January 11, 2022 2:16 PM
The strong rally on GBP/USD has paused for breath at two key levels of resistance, leaving us to question whether it’s time to retrace of simply break higher from here.
- Australia's ASX 200 index fell by -57 points (-0.77%) and currently trades at 7,390.10
- Japan's Nikkei 225 index has fallen by -263.72 points (-0.93%) and currently trades at 28,214.84
- Hong Kong's Hang Seng index has risen by 25.48 points (0.11%) and currently trades at 23,772.02
- China's A50 Index has fallen by -72.45 points (-0.47%) and currently trades at 15,373.75
UK and Europe:
- UK's FTSE 100 futures are currently up 25.5 points (0.34%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 7,470.75
- Euro STOXX 50 futures are currently up 24.5 points (0.58%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 4,264.02
- Germany's DAX futures are currently up 71 points (0.45%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 15,839.27
- DJI futures are currently down -10 points (-0.03%)
- S&P 500 futures are currently down -4.75 points (-0.03%)
- Nasdaq 100 futures are currently down -1 points (-0.02%)
With no economic data out from Europe today and US inflation data scheduled for tomorrow, volatility may be on the lower side and markets could remain in holding patterns. That is, of course, assuming Jerome Powell doesn’t provide a volatility trigger today when he speaks at 15:00. But we cannot help but notice the importance of the levels GBP/USD is hanging around, as it is clearly a pivotal area.Cable’s short-covering rally has stalled at the June trendline and 200-day eMA. Such levels don’t tend to break upon their first attempt and a strong CPI print from the US could send cable lower from current levels. In which case we’d have a countertrend target at 1.3500 and 1.3455 (38.2% Fibonacci level) as part of a natural retracement. Alternatively, we’d be interested in a break above yesterday’s high (and ideally close above trendline) to assume a resumption of its bullish leg.
WTI holds steady ahead of today’s API report
WTI didn’t hold above $79 for long yesterday before retracing further and invalidating the lower bullish trendline of its 4-hour channel. Yet prices have remained above the 38.2% Fibonacci retracement around $78, and its correction from last week’s high may be forming a bullish wedge pattern. Take note of the weekly API report at 21:30 and headlines surrounding Libya, as they could easily make their mark on oil prices today.
Gold pops above 1800 during quiet trade
Gold has printed a solid bullish engulfing candle yesterday although, as 1800 had capped as resistance, we thought it may have traded in a quiet range overnight. It didn’t. Instead, prices have now broken higher and now trade above the weekly and monthly pivot. Therefore the 1800 – 1804 zone remains a pivotal level today, and if support can be built around it perhaps it could be headed for 1820. Alternatively, a break below it warns of an overnight bull-trap.
FTSE 350: Market Internals
FTSE 350: 4242.3 (-0.53%) 10 January 2022
- 81 (23.01%) stocks advanced and 270 (76.70%) declined
- 15 stocks rose to a new 52-week high, 11 fell to new lows
- 48.58% of stocks closed above their 200-day average
- 52.84% of stocks closed above their 50-day average
- 26.14% of stocks closed above their 20-day average
- + 8.03% - Cineworld Group PLC (CINE.L)
- + 4.13% - TP ICAP Group PLC (TCAPI.L)
- + 3.13% - Plus500 Ltd (PLUSP.L)
- -7.26% - Moonpig Group PLC (MOONM.L)
- -6.94% - Watches of Switzerland Group PLC (WOSG.L)
- -6.54% - Spirax-Sarco Engineering PLC (SPX.L)
Up Next (Times in GMT)
There’s no economic data scheduled for today’s European session, before business optimism, mortgage data and the weekly API report for energy traders takes over for the US session. Christine Lagarde is speaking at 10:20 GMT, although it is not expected to be regarding policy. Then at 14:30 the Fed’s Esther George speaks on the economic and monetary policy outlook, then Jerome Powell testifies before the Senate Banking Committee at 15:00.
How to trade with City Index
You can easily trade with City Index by using these four easy steps:
Open an account, or log in if you’re already a customer
• Open an account in the UK
• Open an account in Australia
• Open an account in Singapore
- Search for the company you want to trade in our award-winning platform
- Choose your position and size, and your stop and limit levels
- Place the trade
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.