European Open: EUR/GBP is Coiling Ahead of Key Inflation Data
Matt Simpson October 20, 2021 12:57 PM
With a host of inflation report scheduled for the Eurozone and UK shortly, EUR/GBP is on the radar for intraday traders.
- Australia's ASX 200 index rose by 47.5 points (0.64%) and currently trades at 7,422.40
- Japan's Nikkei 225 index has risen by 101 points (0.35%) and currently trades at 29,317.44
- Hong Kong's Hang Seng index has risen by 338.75 points (1.31%) and currently trades at 26,125.96
UK and Europe:
- UK's FTSE 100 futures are currently up 6 points (0.08%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 7,223.53
- Euro STOXX 50 futures are currently down -3.5 points (-0.08%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 4,163.33
- Germany's DAX futures are currently down -9 points (-0.06%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 15,506.83
- DJI futures are currently up 198.7 points (0.56%)
- S&P 500 futures are currently down -15.25 points (-0.1%)
- Nasdaq 100 futures are currently down -1.5 points (-0.03%)
Asian equity markets sustained the positive vibe from Wall Street as traders remained optimistic about the global recovery. Which is in stark contrast to the recent selloff which was caused by concerns of stagflation.
Japan’s exports slumped to a 7-month low of 13% y/y in September, down from 26.2% in August and its peak of 49.6% in May. Exports to the US fell -3% although rose to 1.3% for Asian, 10.3% of which was to China. With imports costs rising thanks to the spike in oil prices and weaker yen, it is metric which could weigh on BOJ’s outlook when they revise their inflation forecasts later this month. The Nikkei 225 gave back early gains and now trades just 01% higher for the session.
The FTSE 100 is coiling up near its recent highs on the four-hour chart. With sentiment remaining positive for equities overall we’re hopeful to see an upside break. Key support levels for bulls to defend include 7180 and 7160.
FTSE 350: Market Internals
FTSE 350: 4136.42 (0.19%) 19 October 2021
- 217 (61.82%) stocks advanced and 116 (33.05%) declined
- 9 stocks rose to a new 52-week high, 3 fell to new lows
- 60.11% of stocks closed above their 200-day average
- 31.91% of stocks closed above their 50-day average
- 20.51% of stocks closed above their 20-day average
- + 8.9%-Moneysupermarket.Com Group PLC(MONY.L)
- + 7.7%-RHI Magnesita NV(RHIM.VI)
- + 5.8%-Vesuvius PLC(VSVS.L)
- -5.8%-International Consolidated Airlines Group SA(ICAG.L)
- -5.6%-TUI AG(TUIT.L)
- -5.4%-Harbour Energy PLC(HBR.L)
As my colleague Joe Perry pointed out, Wednesday really is inflation day – with consumer and producer price reports being released across Europe, Africa and North America. UK CPI kicks it all off at 07:00 BST which puts GBP pairs into focus for news traders. Following hawkish comments from BOE Governor Andrew Bailer, traders have been pricing in a November hike. And that means any disappointment in today’s figured could see the pound under pressure.
CPI is expected to have dipped to 0.4% in September from 0.7%, remained steady at 3.2% y/y and for Core CPI to have slipping to 3% from 3.1% prior. Conversely, should we see some punchy numbers today it will only exacerbate calls for an early rate hike and support GBP.
And the relative performance between European an UK’s CPI reports places EUR/GBP firmly into focus. EUR/GBP has rallied over 300 pips since September low from the 200-day eMA. It closed above the August high on Friday, then produced a bullish engulfing candle yesterday and closed near the highs.
The four-hour chart has bounced its way along the 20-bar eMA and is now coiling within a tight range ahead of these inflation reports. Today we are simply waiting to see if momentum breaks the cross to new highs or break lower from the small consolidation as part of a minor countertrend move. If it moves lower, we could then seek bullish setups above 1.1800 near the recent swing low and weekly pivot point, as the trend remains bullish overall.
Copper futures dipped to a 4-day low which confirmed two bearish pinbars on the daily chart. It’s holding above the July high but it is apparent a cooling-off period is required after last week’s strong rally. For now, we remain bullish above 4.50 and await further evidence is current retracement has neared completion.
Up Next (Times in BST)
How to trade with City Index
You can trade easily trade with City Index by using these four easy steps:
Open an account, or log in if you’re already a customer
• Open an account in the UK
• Open an account in Australia
• Open an account in Singapore
- Search for the company you want to trade in our award-winning platform
- Choose your position and size, and your stop and limit levels
- Place the trade
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.