European Open: Equities broadly lower, GBP/AUD breaks out
Matt Simpson November 26, 2021 1:25 PM
US markets are closed just after lunch today. But that is not to say it will be a dull session if price action overnight is anything to go by.
- Australia's ASX 200 index fell by -125.9 points (-1.7%) and currently trades at 7,281.40
- Japan's Nikkei 225 index has fallen by -811.71 points (-2.73%) and currently trades at 28,696.71
- Hong Kong's Hang Seng index has fallen by -526.61 points (-2.13%) and currently trades at 24,213.55
- China's A50 Index has fallen by -132.91 points (-0.85%) and currently trades at 15,505.76
UK and Europe:
- UK's FTSE 100 futures are currently down -128.5 points (-1.76%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 7,181.87
- Euro STOXX 50 futures are currently down -86.5 points (-2.02%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 4,206.74
- Germany's DAX futures are currently down -284 points (-1.79%), the cash market is currently estimated to open at 15,633.98
- DJI futures are currently down -9.42 points (-0.03%)
- S&P 500 futures are currently down -78.25 points (-0.48%)
- Nasdaq 100 futures are currently down -45.25 points (-0.96%)
Will soured sentiment carry over to the European session?
Asian equities and futures markets are broadly lower whilst gold, the Swiss franc and yen are higher as investors pile into safe havens. We can already see the damage to sentiment seen during the Asian session, so the question for traders now is as to whether this carries over to the European session. We’re guessing it will as traders opt for the ‘panic now, question later’ approach. What’s really got investors spooked is concerns that this new Covid variant can evade vaccinations to do its dirty work. But that also cuts both ways, because it we see confirmation that it is not actually the case, then we’d expect a strong risk-on reaction. We’re clearly not there yet though.
Yen is the king of safetyWhilst CHF and JPY pairs are taking bids, the fact that CHF/JPY is lower tells us that the yen is the preferred safety play for currency traders. USD/JPY is back below 115 during its worst session in seen, so the dollar is clearly not a place to hide today. AUD/JPY is below 82 and is the go-to barometer of risk for currency traders. We expect the pair to remain under pressure as it remains in its bearish channel and is a key pair to watch today.
GBP/AUD breaks out of bull flag pattern overnight
GBP/AUD enjoyed its best week since September last week, and prices have since consolidated below the October high as the trend pauses for breath. We have now seen two higher highs and a higher low on the daily chart, and events overnight has seen GBP/AUD finally break above October’s high.
A decent trend is forming on the four-hour chart and its sideways consolidation found support at the 50-day eMA. A large bullish engulfing candle formed prior to the breakout, so we suspect its corrective low is now in place.
FTSE 350: Market Internals
FTSE 350: 4187.39 (0.33%) 25 November 2021
- 230 (65.53%) stocks advanced and 111 (31.62%) declined
- 6 stocks rose to a new 52-week high, 4 fell to new lows
- 56.98% of stocks closed above their 200-day average
- 58.4% of stocks closed above their 50-day average
- 14.81% of stocks closed above their 20-day average
- + 18.5%-Vivo Energy PLC(VVO.L)
- + 14.3%-Hochschild Mining PLC(HOCM.L)
- + 9.64%-Capita PLC(CPI.L)
- -8.57%-Hill & Smith Holdings PLC(HILS.L)
- -4.84%-Renishaw PLC(RSW.L)
- -3.85%-TI Fluid Systems PLC(TIFS.L)
All rise for German inflation
German import prices are scheduled for 07:00 GMT and having increased its rate of expansion for twelve consecutive months there’s little reason to expect them to contract today. Although its rate of ascent is falling with October’s 17.7% y/y print only up 1.2 percentage points from 16.5%, so a rise less than 1.2 would be a small victory. Beyond that there is no major economic data related and US markets close at lunch so it will be a quiet end to the week.
Up Next (Times in BST)
How to trade with City Index
You can easily trade with City Index by using these four easy steps:
Open an account, or log in if you’re already a customer
• Open an account in the UK
• Open an account in Australia
• Open an account in Singapore
- Search for the company you want to trade in our award-winning platform
- Choose your position and size, and your stop and limit levels
- Place the trade
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.