Stock market snapshot as of [25/07/2019 0527 GMT]
- Ahead of the European opening session, most Asian stock markets are showing positive performances triggered by the stellar gains seen in key U.S. semiconductors stocks that have helped to lead the S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100 to another record fresh all-time highs.
- The key catalyst came from Texas Instruments, a major U.S. chipmaker that soared by 7.4% on better than expected earnings results that offset the headwinds from U.S./China trade tensions and fallout from China’s Huawei Technologies where it has contributed to 3% to 4% of Texas Instruments’ global revenue.
- The Australia’s ASX 200 is now just 0.5% away from its all-time high level of 6851 printed in Oct 2007 on the backdrop of an easing liquidity condition. RBA governor Lowe has commented in a public speech today that low interest rates are here to stay and can go lower if economic activities fail to take off.
- The underperformer as at today’s Asian mid-session is Korea’s Kospi 200; almost unchanged due to rising regional geopolitical risk where North Korea has launched two projectiles from the eastern part of the Korean Peninsula.
- After the S&P 500 closed at a new record all-time high of 3019, the S&P E-min futures has remained firm in today’s Asian session as it has inched higher by 0.22% to print a current intraday high of 3024.
- European stock indices CFD futures are recording modest gains at this juncture where the FTSE 100 is up by 0.30% after its underperformance seen in yesterday, 24 Jul where it declined by -0.73% due to Brexit uncertainties. The German DAX CFD futures has rallied by 0.54% after a bullish break and a daily close above the 12500 key medium-term resistance.
- ECB monetary policy decision at 1145 GMT follow by its press conference at 1230 GMT. The consensus is set for no interest rate cut on its key deposit rate now at -0.4%. A dovish statement from ECB out-going governor Draghi can firm up the forward guidance for a cut in the Sep meeting follow by a restart of the QE programme that may see European stocks extending their gains.
- U.S. bellwether tech and FAANG stock, Amazon will report its Q2 earnings after the close of U.S. session today. Consensus for its EPS is set at $5.29 where a beat is likely to see a retest on its current all-time high of 2050.50 printed on 04 Sep 2018; it closed at 2000.81 yesterday, 24 Jul. Further gains in Amazon can drive up the S&P 500 and Nasdaq 100 where it has a significant market capitalised weightage in these indices (3rd largest in the S&P 500 & the 2nd largest in the Nasdaq 100).
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.