Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US indices closed marginally lower in another quiet session, amidst earnings reports from several major banks (see below)
- Industrials (XLI) were the strongest sector on the day and Energy (XLE) was the weakest as WTI crude dropped 3%.
- US retail sales printed stronger-than-expected at +0.4% m/m (vs. +0.2% eyed). Core retail sales also beat expectations at +0.4%, though there were negative revisions to last month’s report on both fronts.
- “Trade war” truce in danger? President Trump said he could impose more tariffs on China if he wanted and that there was a long way to go with China on trade.
- Stocks on the move:
- Three major banks reported earnings today, painting a mixed picture for the sector: JPMorgan Chase (JPM +1%), Goldman Sachs (GS +2%), Wells Fargo (WFC, -3%)
- Dow component Johnson and Johnson (JNJ) dipped nearly 2% after reporting a beat on earnings but falling revenue.
- Domino’s Pizza (DPZ) fell nearly 9% after reporting disappointing revenue and same store sales growth.
- Meal kit delivery company Blue Apron (APRN) surged 34% after announcing it would incorporate meals from Beyond Meat (BYND, +4%) into its seasonal recipes.
- See our preview for IBM’s earnings report tomorrow!
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.