Stock market snapshot as of [22/07/2019 0510 GMT]
- Ahead of the European opening session, most Asian stock markets have started a new week on a cautious stance due to rising geopolitical tensions in the Persian Gulf where Iran’s armed forces seized a British oil tanker last Fri, 19 Jul.
- Secondly, market participants had started to scale back on the expectations of a 50 bps Fed rate cut on 31 Jul after a Wall Street Journal report that stated that the Fed was likely to cut rates by 25 bps and may make further cuts in the future due to trade uncertainties. The CME FedWatch Tool is now pricing in a 22.5% probability of a 50 bps cut after the 31 Jul FOMC meeting, down from a high of 46.2% seen last week, after the dovish remarks made by New York Fed official Williams.
- The worst performer is the Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index which has declined by -0.77% as at today’s Asian mid-session led by the consumer cyclicals and telecommunications sectors; down by -0.98% and -1.50% respectively.
- A sell-off was seen in the S&P 500 E-mini futures on last Fri, 19 Jul U.S. session that broke last Thurs, 18 Jul low of 2974 (last Fri, it closed at 2971 at the end of the U.S. session). In today’s Asian session, the S&P 500 E-mini futures has managed to inch up by 0.32% to print a current intraday high of 2980. Overall, a potential medium-top is in place for the S&P 500 where further down move can trigger a negative feedback loop into the Asian stock markets coupled with the U.S. earnings season still in play. Click here to read our latest weekly technical outlook.
- European stock indices CFD futures are not showing any significant movement at this junction where both the FTSE 100 and German DAX are almost unchanged. From a technical analysis perspective, the DAX is still not showing any clear signs of a recovery, watch the 12200 near-term support next.
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.