Stock market snapshot as of [18/07/2019 0430 GMT]
- Ahead of the European opening session, Asian stock markets have declined in line with a weak performance seen overnight in the U.S. stock market. The worse performer so far as at today’s Asian mid-session is the Nikkei 225 which has tumbled by -1.92% and broke below the 21500 key medium-term pivotal support that has damaged the medium-term uptrend in place since 04 Jun 2019.
- Catalysts that have contributed to the on-going weakness seen in the Nikkei 225 are weak Japanese trade numbers where exports have decline to -6.7% y/y in Jun that has came in below consensus of -5.6% y/y and recorded the 7th consecutive month of declines. Secondly, the USD/JPY has broken below a key short-term technical support of 107.80 that has reinforced further JPY strength in the short-term.
- The weak earnings report out from Netflix, part of the high beta “FAANG” cohort after the close of yesterday, 17 Jul U.S. session has spooked the overall sentiment in risk assets. The S&P E-min futures has continued to slide in today’s Asia session by -0.46% where it has printed a current intraday low of 2974; the cash S&P 500 has closed yesterday, 17 Jul U.S. session at 2984.
- Overall, the S&P 500 is likely to have form a medium-term top where the Index is now in progress of shaping a potential corrective decline sequence of -10% to -15% as per highlighted in our weekly outlook report published earlier on Mon, 15 Jul (click here for a recap). Even though, the ASX 200 and Hang Seng Index are still trading above their respective supports of 6590 and 28000 at this juncture but conviction is low to see a continuation of their impulsive up move sequence.
- The European stock indices CFD futures are also extending their losses from yesterday’s European session close at this juncture. Both the German DAX and FTSE 100 are down by -0.84% and -0.40% respectively. A break below 12200 on the German DAX may see a further drop towards 11900/800.
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
This report is intended for general circulation only. It should not be construed as a recommendation, or an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy or sell any financial products. The information provided does not take into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs. Before you act on any recommendation that may be contained in this report, independent advice ought to be sought from a financial adviser regarding the suitability of the investment product, taking into account your specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd., may distribute reports produced by its respective foreign entities or affiliates within the StoneX group of companies or third parties pursuant to an arrangement under Regulation 32C of the Financial Advisers Regulations. Where the report is distributed to a person in Singapore who is not an accredited investor, expert investor or an institutional investor (as defined in the Securities Futures Act), StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. accepts legal responsibility to such persons for the contents of the report only to the extent required by law. Singapore recipients should contact StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. at 6826 9988 for matters arising from, or in connection with the report.
In the case of all other recipients of this report, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and regulations neither StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. nor its associated companies will be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information contained in this report and all such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the content of this report is complete or accurate.
StoneX Financial Pte. Ltd. is not under any obligation to update this report.
Trading CFDs and FX on margin carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for some investors. Consider your investment objectives, level of experience, financial resources, risk appetite and other relevant circumstances carefully. The possibility exists that you could lose some or all of your investments, including your initial deposits. If in doubt, please seek independent expert advice. Visit cityindex.com.sg for the complete Risk Disclosure Statement.